Bringing you news from all corners of Kenya.|Wednesday, December 13, 2017
You are here: Home » All Articles » Counties » Kericho » Fire guts down boys dormitory in Kericho

Fire guts down boys dormitory in Kericho 

Fire fighters from Kericho County fire brigade and James Finlay’s fire rescue services putting out a fire that broke out at one of the  Moi Sitotwet Mixed secondary school’s dormitories that accommodated Form three and Form four students.




The aftermath of the fire that gutted a dormitory at Moi Sitotwet Mixed secondary school which accommodated 99 students. All their personal effects, beddings and other valuables were razed in the inferno.

The aftermath of the fire that gutted a dormitory at Moi Sitotwet Mixed secondary school which accommodated 99 students. All their personal effects, beddings and other valuables were razed in the inferno.

A dormitory was Friday gutted down at Moi Sitotwet Mixed Secondary school in Kericho County.

The fire also consumed belongings to 99 students who were accommodated in the ill-fated building following the incident.

Confirming the incident, Kericho OCPD Justus Kitetu said the 10 am incident caught the form four and from three students who lived there by surprise.

He applauded the timely response from the County and James Finlay’s Fire brigade services that managed to put out the fire before it spread to adjacent buildings.

“The fire caught the students unawares as they were in class for their morning lessons. It spread very fast consuming everything. The students lost all their personal effects, beddings and other valuables that are yet to be quantified,” said Kitetu.

The OCPD said no injuries or casualties were reported during the incident, though the students were unable to salvage any of their belongings.

He added that they had launched investigations immediately and a team from the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) was on the ground to establish whether the fire was started by an electrical fault.

“It is not common for fires to start at daytime, and if it was not an electrical fault then someone could have started it. We have called on the KPLC to establish on their side whether the fire was caused by an electrical fault. We do not want to speculate anything but so far we have some good leads that will assist us in knowing the cause.” added Kitetu.

Kitetu called on the students, teachers and the neighboring community to remain calm as police carry out investigations.

A cook at the school Mr. Wilfred Langat said he saw smoke coming from one of the dormitory windows while he was in the kitchen and on rushing to the dormitory failed to save any of the students’ belongings as the fire spread very fast.
By Sarah Njagi

Related posts:

Leave a Response