Candidates demand phones
Form four students from Tambach High School in Keiyo North Sub County were on Wednesday sent home after the board of management concluded they were making impossible requests and they were a risk to other students.
The Keiyo North Sub County Education Officer, Timothy Odhiambo said the candidates were demanding to have mobile phones in school, which he said can never be granted to students.
Odhiambo said the students had earlier threatened to beat up colleagues from other classes with no apparent reason.
“After a daylong deliberations, the board of management has decided to allow them to go home as they demanded because their continued stay could be a risk to other students,” said the officer.
The candidates were asked to stay home for two weeks to calm down before coming back to sit their national examinations set to start later this month.
He said the candidates have been stubborn since the year started and the school management has been doing all it can to have them remain in school and learn.
The Keiyo North AP Commander, Joseph Biwott said on Tuesday night the school management had to call in the police to keep vigil in the school overnight to avert possible chaos that the students had threatened to cause.
Only last Thursday, St. Peters Marakwet boys from neighbouring Marakwet South sub county were sent home for a week after they went on rampage and burnt one of their dormitories, destroyed principle’s car and broke into the cashiers office where they stole Sh.35,000. They were reporting back on Thursday.
By Alice Wanjiru