Sh12.5 million contraband goods destroyed
Kenya Revenue Authority Thursday destroyed a consignment of assorted goods worth sh12.5 million in Busia border.
Speaking on behalf of the Chief Manager Customs and Border control, Western region John Gathatwa, Busia One Stop Border Post Station Manager Davis Kiprop said the items and goods had been condemned and they could not pass through Kenya Bureau of Standards.
“We have actually consolidated all these items and what we have done today is what we call disposal through destruction,” he said.
Kiprop explained that the items were not only imports but also smuggled goods detained by KRA for the past four years.
“Some of the mercury products were smuggled but they were intercepted by KRA officials,” he said adding not all the items were being imported.
He further said that no cases had been taken to court since the confiscated items were prohibited and none of the importers would go through the process of litigation.
The Manager urged cross-border traders not to encourage goods that are prohibited to come to the country citing porous border as a major challenge in controlling sneaking of illegal goods into the country.
“However KRA has always endeavored to carry out patrols and surveillance to mitigate the entry of such goods through illegal routes,” he said.
Busia County NEMA officer Moses Ombogo ensured that the items are destroyed in the recommended way. He added that the destruction would serve as a deterrent to other people who might still be interested in smuggling goods or sub –standard items into the country.
By Salome Alwanda