Bringing you news from all corners of Kenya.|Tuesday, September 25, 2018
You are here: Home » All Articles » Agriculture » Displaced Flood Victims in Narok Get Relief Supplies

Displaced Flood Victims in Narok Get Relief Supplies 

muranga-dlp-300x198




Narok county government has donated 50 bags of maize, 12 cartons of cooking oil and 100 blankets to 61 families that were rendered homeless after their houses and crops were swept by flash floods in Mosiro area, Narok East Sub County.

Speaking at the Mosiro irrigation scheme , Narok County Governor Samuel Tunai said the floods were as a result of climate change asking residents living near the river banks and low lands to move on the upper parts to avoid incurring huge losses again.

Governor Tunai confirmed that flash floods were being experienced in Narok town, Suswa and many parts of Narok South but assured that the county government was committed to help the affected people.

The flash floods at Mosiro irrigation scheme occurred on Saturday night after River Ewaso Nyiro burst its banks and swept farmers’ houses at the scheme.

Over 40 acres of crops under irrigation were also destroyed by the floods which could spell doom to residents as the area experiences perennial droughts.

Evalyne Kuret, a poultry farmer said she lost dozens of her chicken, two acres of maize plantation and vegetables.

“I spent around Sh. 9, 000 to buy seeds and prepare land for planting, but it has all gone to waste after the floods,” she said.

Samson Ole Katoo, a vegetable farmer said for the two years he has been farming at the scheme, this is the first time the river has caused such catastrophe.

Stephen Lelian asked the county government to fence the irrigation scheme to prevent wild animals like elephants, zebra and monkeys from destroying their crops.

He lamented that his cabbage and tomato crop that was ready for harvesting was all washed away.

Meanwhile, Kisombe has warned motorists plying the Narok – Maai Mahiu road to be vigilant when reaching Suswa area as flash floods could occur.

“The raging floods carry stones and mud on the road making the road completely impassable, we advise motorists to use alternative routes in case it rains,” he said.

He commended the Chinese Construction Company that is constructing the Standard Gauge Railway in the area for giving machinery and man power required to clear the road.

Governor Tunai in an earlier event said the government was considering diverting the road to pass through Ngong-Suswa to Narok as a lasting solution to the natural phenomenon affecting the major highway.

The meteorological department last month said a heavy downpour in some parts of the country will be experienced this month.

Most parts of the country are currently experiencing heavy downpour that has led to destruction of property and loss of lives and cut off communication in some areas.

Last week, 18 people died after a bus they were travelling in plunged into the swollen Siyiapei River at the Narok- Maai Mahiu road.

By Ann Salaton

Related posts:

Leave a Response