One dead, ten admitted for eating poisonous cassava
An eight year old boy from Nyabohanse village Kuria West Sub County has died while ten other family members are admitted at Migori Level four hospital after they reportedly ate poisonous cassava.
According to the deceased’s mother, Pascaline Mukami also admitted, a woman known in their village sold them cassava which they she consumed with her children as their evening meal.
“Shortly children complained of stomach pains accompanied with vomiting where I rushed them to Nyamaraga Health centre for treatment,” Mukami told the journalists.
Realising children were not getting better, the distraught mother decided to use bodaboda take them to Migori Level four hospital.
“By the time I was taking my children to Migori Level Hospital I also felt stomach pains similar to those of my children,” Mukami added.
“I don’t know what to say; all my chicken are also dead after consuming the remains of the poisonous cassava,” a sobbing Mukami told the press.
The Nyabohanse Location Chief, Chacha Mwita said that the woman reported to have sold poisonous cassava to the family has been arrested to assist police to locate the source of the lethal fruit.
Health officials were forced to institute first aid to save desperate children and their mother who were wreathing in pain crying for help.
The boy was pronounced dead when he reached hospital according to the Migori Level Four health officials.
By Geoffrey Satia