Four students arrested over Hosana Enelerai School fire
Police in Narok North are holding four pupils from Hosana Enelerai Boarding Primary School in connection with a fire that destroyed part of a dormitory at the school Thursday evening.
Speaking to Kenya News Agency on Friday morning, Narok North OCPD, Joseph Kisombe said the students, who included three boys and a girl, were arrested at the school Thursday, and were being held at Narok Police Station, helping police with investigations.
They will be arraigned in court as soon as investigations are complete.
Kisombe said the pupils were in class at around 5:00PM Thursday when they noticed fire coming from the boys’ dormitory.
They raised alarm and the school community managed to put off the fire that had destroyed property worth over Sh100, 000 leaving about 100 boys in the cold last night.
Although there has been fewer school fires, it brings back memories of last year where school fires reached alarming levels in Second Term when candidates were approaching their end year examinations as students rioted even over flimsiest reasons.
Over 120 schools were burnt down in the country causing damage estimated to be over Sh500million and leaving over 600, 000 students without shelter, begging many questions than answers.
Narok was not spared the wave as nearly 10 schools were burnt last year. The Moi Girls` School fire in Nairobi early last month where ten girls lost their lives and several others injured remains engraved in Kenyans` minds as the most tragic school fire this year.
Recently, police in Narok North also arrested two pupils from Iltum – Iltum Boarding Primary School in connection with a fire that destroyed a dormitory at the school.
In June and July this year, a fierce fire destroyed a dormitory in Kilgoris Girls High school in Trans Mara West Sub-County and Emurua- Dikirr Boys Secondary School in Transmara East Sub-county leading to the closure of the schools.
Olasit Secondary School was also closed down as students demanded the transfer of the Head Teacher and return of a teacher they had earlier rejected.
Many education stakeholders have been calling for thorough investigations to unearth the root cause of these perennial school strikes that reached an alarming crescendo last year.
The Education Cabinet Secretary, Dr. Fred Matiang’i visited some of the affected schools last year and gave firm instructions to schools not to admit students from other schools without a letter of approval from the educations officials, ascertaining that the incoming students are not running away from culpability.
The Government has initiated consultative meetings with various stakeholders to try to address unrest in schools where review of the school syllabus is being considered as one of the remedies.
By Mabel Keya –Shikuku